Saturday 27 August 2011

The Secret to a Happy Relationship

My Dear Friends,

At 8:30 this morning I turned into my driveway after spending the last 12hrs at work and my cellphone rang. It was my wife calling me from at her office.

Wife:-  " You heard that David in the hospital? He just collapse and in ICU.

Me :-  " Nooo....What happened?   (waiting for the real motive behind the call)

Wife:- " His girlfriend said he was pushing himself too hard and wouldn't slow down. You know Mark, I keep telling you about working those long hours every night. It ain't healthy. You have a young child who needs a father. I ain't thinking bout me but Kayla needs her daddy."

Me :- " But my dear, you know how much I have put into Medlife over the past 2 years. It ain't making no money but I have a lot of very nice old people that are depending on me to make it work. To them Medlife could mean life or death."    (Feeling good, I have played the old people card.)

Wife :- " And what going to happen to them when you fall down dead?"

Me :- " Honey, my phone needs charging. I will call you when I get inside."    (I hang up)

The secret to being happily married for over 15 years is simply this:-

"Recognize early when you are getting into an argument that you cannot win and get out before you have to tell your wife she is right."

I have watched my grandfather and my father make the mistake of admitting that they were wrong to their wives and they never heard the end of it. Believe me people. You will be 90 years old on your hospital deathbed with tubes in every orifice, hooked up to every life sustaining monitor there is and your wife would lean over and whisper in your ear..."You remember 60 years ago when I told you that you should have done so and so....If you did do it then you would not be in this position now."

I am a student of Sun Tzu's - The Art of War and I apply its principals in every aspect of my life. I have found dealing with women to be the most challenging. Their minds are unusually adept at deception and to quote the great man,  "All warfare is based on deception."  In fact, if there were more female generals there would be much shorter wars and you can quote me on that.

So before you try to match wits with your significant other remember these words of wisdom adapted from the teaching of Sun Tzu. "If equally matched, we can offer battle; if slightly inferior in numbers, we can avoid the enemy; if quite unequal in every way, we can flee from her."

 
Quote of the Day

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting. Sun Tzu - The Art of War


No comments:

Post a Comment